BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW M135i F20 N55 - Ticking / Rattle Video

05-14-2024, 11:57 AM   #1
Morgzy
Rep
Drives: M135i Auto 2014

Smile BMW M135i F20 N55 - Ticking / Rattle Video

Hello peoples,

I’m having some trouble diagnosing the cause of a ticking sound coming from the lower side of my engine. The issue doesn’t seem to affect performance however I don’t want to leave it unresolved for it to later become an issue. It’s hard to tell on the video but it sounds like a cross between a ticking and almost like a scraping noise. The noise increases as the RPM increases and seems to stop above 2.5k. I’ll be taking it to a garage in the next 2-3 days but any suggestions as to what may be the cause would be much appreciated.

Drive safe
Morgzy

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 10:38 AM   #2
Morgzy
Rep
Drives: M135i Auto 2014

After speaking to a friend who’s better informed than myself he suggested it could be the timing chain knocking if the tensioner isn’t adjusted correctly or is broken. Hopefully not because the whole timing chain and guides where changed less then a year ago. Someone else advised it could be noise coming from the exhaust but I’m a little doubtful of this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0