BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > BMW sound system

05-12-2024, 06:25 AM   #1
NightTitus05
Registered
Denmark
Rep
Drives: bmw f20 118i 2011

BMW sound system

Hey i have a bmw f20 with the base Sound system on worndring if i buy the hk door speakers and replace the base ones in mine if it would make a difference if I don’t get the tweeters and the amp
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 05:26 AM   #2
rogan
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2014 F20 116i, 2014 F10 530d

Probably wouldn't add much without tweeters
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2024, 03:42 PM   #3
mudit.khullar
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 1 SERIES F20

Garage List
I did this retrofit recently. I only changed the front door speakers with the hk ones. You will need to buy the window frame trims (these come with a tweeter pre installed but are quite pricey at €120 for each side). I got the mids on eBay (about €50 for the pair). The fitting is easy and straightforward but make sure you have a good quality trim removal kit, and spare clips (you will break a few for sure so handy to order a few before you start).

Now the main part - does it make a difference? Yes and no. I can definitely feel a difference in the front stage for sure, however, I now feel I lack the low end grunt. The bass is there, but the mids and highs are so powerful, it definitely makes you notice the punch, or the lack thereof. The problem is the headunit. Base audio sound system is powered by the headunit alone, and it’s just not powerful enough to drive 6 speakers. If you’re not going to fit an amp, it’s a cheap “upgrade” but you will feel something missing.

For a proper nice sounding setup, you definitely need some sort of an amp to power the underwear subs at the very least. Ideally you want to power all 6 speakers separately and potentially also add a proper boxed subwoofer, either ported or sealed. You can go down the route of retrofitting the hk factory amp and wiring harness, but unless you’re okay to pay through your nose, these are like hen’s teeth! Plus the amount they are going for on eBay right now, you’d easily find a helix or audison or hertz or any one of the other actual premium brands to provide a solution that is going to sound a lot better in the same price category as oem.

This is where I am right now. I’m having a hard time deciding which Dsp/amp combo I’m going to go for but I’ve a couple options right now and I’m just waiting to audition them before I make my mind. I think I’ve done a good amount of research, to the point I’m getting picky now 🤣 but sure look, we live!

Don’t hesitate to ask any questions if you’re stuck with your research! 👌🏾
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2024, 09:54 AM   #4
NightTitus05
Registered
Denmark
Rep
Drives: bmw f20 118i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudit.khullar View Post
I did this retrofit recently. I only changed the front door speakers with the hk ones. You will need to buy the window frame trims (these come with a tweeter pre installed but are quite pricey at €120 for each side). I got the mids on eBay (about €50 for the pair). The fitting is easy and straightforward but make sure you have a good quality trim removal kit, and spare clips (you will break a few for sure so handy to order a few before you start).

Now the main part - does it make a difference? Yes and no. I can definitely feel a difference in the front stage for sure, however, I now feel I lack the low end grunt. The bass is there, but the mids and highs are so powerful, it definitely makes you notice the punch, or the lack thereof. The problem is the headunit. Base audio sound system is powered by the headunit alone, and it’s just not powerful enough to drive 6 speakers. If you’re not going to fit an amp, it’s a cheap “upgrade” but you will feel something missing.

For a proper nice sounding setup, you definitely need some sort of an amp to power the underwear subs at the very least. Ideally you want to power all 6 speakers separately and potentially also add a proper boxed subwoofer, either ported or sealed. You can go down the route of retrofitting the hk factory amp and wiring harness, but unless you’re okay to pay through your nose, these are like hen’s teeth! Plus the amount they are going for on eBay right now, you’d easily find a helix or audison or hertz or any one of the other actual premium brands to provide a solution that is going to sound a lot [...]
Hey thx for the info have been looking on eBay and allready have 2 subs in the car but i have a MOST Fault that needs fixing if it Can be
Appreciate 0