BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Blurring plates: The internet cannot steal your horsepower

03-19-2019, 06:07 PM   #67
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan View Post
OP you obviously didn't used to own a Honda. Back in the day before the US got cars like the WRX/Evo and Hondas made up like 50% of the car scene, it was really common for thieves to go online and look up peoples mods, then find out where they lived based on their license plate information. As a result, peoples houses were getting cased and their cars stolen.

Now with all the data privacy out there currently, I don't think it's as easy to get DMV information and stuff anymore, but I'd probably rather be safe than sorry.
Lol, I think there may be something to this. Honda's used to be stolen like crazy! We used to leave a dude with the car, especially when we'd go to south Florida. Didn't have the issue back home, but we had guns and dogs and lived in the boonies. I used to race the things back in the 90's and had some tarted up ones....
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 06:30 PM   #68
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan View Post
OP you obviously didn't used to own a Honda. Back in the day before the US got cars like the WRX/Evo and Hondas made up like 50% of the car scene, it was really common for thieves to go online and look up peoples mods, then find out where they lived based on their license plate information. As a result, peoples houses were getting cased and their cars stolen.

Now with all the data privacy out there currently, I don't think it's as easy to get DMV information and stuff anymore, but I'd probably rather be safe than sorry.
I had a 2000 Civic Si.. brand new from the dealer. 2 weeks after owning it, I walked out to see it sitting on milk crates with all 4 stock wheels gone.

Once I had someone break into the car and try to hot wire it in the middle of a parking lot during the middle of the day...

I loved that car but I am glad I don't own such a "hot" car as I did then.
      03-19-2019, 08:56 PM   #69
zentanker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M Sport 228i Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Ok, I can see we're not getting it. Driving a car on the road is something that I HAVE TO DO. Putting pictures of my car on the internet along with the plate is NOT SOMETHING I HAVE TO DO.
So you're paranoid. Got it.

If you're that worried, log off and don't post anything online. Ever.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #70
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentanker View Post
Quote:
Ok, I can see we're not getting it. Driving a car on the road is something that I HAVE TO DO. Putting pictures of my car on the internet along with the plate is NOT SOMETHING I HAVE TO DO.
So you're paranoid. Got it.

If you're that worried, log off and don't post anything online. Ever.
Nope. You clearly didn't get it. But, I'm going to stop trying. Everyone else here figured it out. Have to assume you are being deliberately obtuse, since risk mitigation (no matter how small) really isn't that complex of a concept.
Appreciate 3
bimmette6452.50
jmg18493.00
      03-20-2019, 12:34 PM   #71
zentanker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M Sport 228i Mineral Grey

Quote:
Nope. You clearly didn't get it. But, I'm going to stop trying. Everyone else here figured it out. Have to assume you are being deliberately obtuse, since risk mitigation (no matter how small) really isn't that complex of a concept.

Your IP was recorded when you made this post.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 01:04 PM   #72
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Is this the post anything you want thread now?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 03:28 PM   #73
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

Everybody that drives by can see the address on your house as well but you don't give that away in the same place that you post about all expensive electronics and jewelry you have do you? Same thing with cars that tend to have been modified with expensive aftermarket equipment.

What I really want to know is why some people apparently think blurring your plates is a major hassle. It literally takes them longer to post these "why do you people do that" threads than it takes to blur out a plate.
Appreciate 0