10-01-2021, 03:26 AM   #6
Finn2k1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
GPS will work only through blue plug or ATM
You are right. Yesterday I successfully retrofited idrive 6 on my 02.2017 f20 lci
and gps is not working (nothing connected to OABR port).

Just for future reference what I did is the following:

1. Removed all the old parts. My car even though it didn't have navigation by default it came with a magneti marelli unit 6840415 that has blue fakra on the back.

2. Installed an extension cable on the HU end of the monitor cable so I could use my old cable with the new HU

3. Did the same with the usb cable but I had to cut a plastic piece that wouldn't let the cable pl plug into the beige fakra.

4. Used the old BT antenna cable

5. Connected the WiFi antenna

6. Connected the main harness.

7. Connected the fm1 and fm2 cables

8. Left the DAB ports untouched since I don't have a DAB antenna installed. Is it hassle free to connect one?

9. Removed the old idrive controller, installed touch ECU and the new idrive controller with the huge circular button which looks great.

The result is that idrive6 works great, carplay works, Android screen mirroring works with Samsung and other phones that support Miracast protocol. I have read here on the f30 section that someone did the same and gps works when you are using a harness extension that has the OABR cable attached to it. Only thing that doesn't work is connected drive services. I ll look into it, otherwise I may go for an ATM emulator with blue fakra and an aftermarket gps antenna since OEM ATM is impossible (?).
Attached Images

Last edited by Finn2k1; 10-01-2021 at 03:33 AM..
Appreciate 0