Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
So based on this... here are the key points (keep in mind these are for NEW BMWs, not used:

-The average household income of a new BMW car or SUV buyer in 2020 is $124,800 per year.

-Our data shows that the median age of a new BMW owner is 56 years old, compared to 38 for the US population. The age groups break down like this:
24 years old and younger: 1%
25 to 54 years of age: 40%
55 to 64 years of age: 29%
65 years old and older: 30%

-Our data shows that 64% of new BMW buyers are male, compared to 36% female.

-90% of new BMW buyers own their own home. The remainder rent their home

-The median value of a new BMW owner’s home is $317,200.

-New BMW buyers apparently don’t have a lot of kids, or they’re grown up and have moved out. 75% of all new BMW buyers don’t have any children in the home, vs. 25% who do have children in the home. As with gender above, we thought we’d look at SUVs, which in general have higher ownership by families with kids. We were a little surprised that the percentages didn’t change much: 74% of new BMW SUV buyers do not have children in the household, compared to 26% who do have children in the household.

The thing I'm most surprised about is the average household income.
I can't imagine owning a new BMW if my household income was $124k. I'd probably be looking at the used market, or if I absolutely wanted new, something like an accord or a mazda3.

The rest of the statistics don't surprise me too much.
There are probably lots of such articles, but most Americans are over spending on cars and likely a reason for the low savings rate.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/11/04/...ey-expert.html
Appreciate 0