View Single Post
      11-24-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
XavVD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i M Sport (soon)

Replacing the manual control unit by the automatic control one is a very stupid idea that will certainly lead to no air conditioning at all because the calculation unit will probably find out there is mismatch of components.
On auto air conditioning, you need additional sensors, probably a different calculator and even certainly a different air conditioning unit. Before you are able to retrofit any of these additional parts you will probably need to remove the full instrument panel. If you want to do by yourself I wish you good luck. Either you remove it fully and you need something to lift it or you remove component by component and there are quite a lot. Someone used to it will need at least half a day with the proper equipment and if you ask a dealer to do it will probably cost you a lot in terms of man hours... And I am not talking about all the risks of rattles of the instrument panel once you have done it.
My advice: if you want auto air conditioning just tick the box when ordering the car and do not try retrofitting afterwards...
And0rea, are you still convinced it could work?
Appreciate 0