03-16-2022, 10:51 PM   #12717
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
I’ll just say if the main reason you broke up was due to what she makes, I’d take another long look in the mirror. If you have an expectation on what your lifestyle should be, it’s up to you to make it happen and not any potential partner. I would look at anything she brings to the table as a bonus, and most would likely think you’re insane to break up with a partner that ‘only’ made 100k and met all of your other needs/desires….You’re in medicine so I assume you’ll likely make a respectable income, why would you ever need to worry about what she makes? It’s all gravy if youre any type of competent Dr. I’m not saying to rush into a family situation when you have a ways to go, but if she’s not pushing and you have everything you’d want in a partner, how could money come into the equation at all?
I'd say the main factor is age, but what you're saying is certainly true.

I will say however, that the outrageous COL is something I [as a youngish millennial] am really feeling the squeeze of. The principal alone on my med school loan is $300k. And a household income of say $400-450k nowadays in LA does not go far when children come into the picture. A decent home just seems unattainable these days. Clearly, if I really loved her, this wouldn't matter. I'd be willing to just make it work here or move someplace cheaper with her if it mattered that much.

Clearly I have some maturing to do and reassessment of my priorities in life. While I'm figuring this out, I think it would have been unfair to string her along for the ride.
Appreciate 0