View Single Post
      08-07-2019, 08:50 AM   #4
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep
Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

Not a huge update but we finished pulling the door cards, thankfully the doors weren't full of rust.

Untitled by Nick Wood, on Flickr

We also got the rest of the interior out, as you can see the carpet is not saveable. Again, I was happy to not see the shop floor while in the car. One of the writers for Bmw Roundel magazine Rob Siegel just did a big write up where to look for rust on these cars, one of the best quotes in the article is. "they will start oxidizing if you even think a moist thought within 20 feet of them." I have been happy with the little rust we have found.

Then, out came the back seats which are in amazing shape.

I picked up the passenger seat from the e9 the other night and brought it home. It fit nicely in the wagon.

It needed a good cleaning badly.

I used a mixture of steam and leather cleaner with a horse hair brush. The steam pulled up a lot of gunk on its own.

After the steam I went over it with leather cleaner.

After I finished the seat, I continued the same process on the head rest. Before.

After.

Once the seat and the head rest dried out a little I gave them both a thick coat of conditioner.

And the finished product. It was still soaking up conditioner in this pic but after buffing with a microfiber it now has a less glossy finish.

It didn't come out perfect but I love the patina on it.. its like an old baseball glove.

We wanted to fix the wood trim so we pulled the dash.

Since we had the dash out, we shipped it out to be refinished. We hope to see it before Christmas. Since we now had access to all the wood trim, we got to work on it. The dash trim wasn't terrible but it did need some attention.

And the gauge cluster trim has seen better days.

We have most of the trim re-veneered as of now although the gauge cluster is a pain in the ass. Now we just need to decide on a stain color.

And the finished cluster bezel.

The next projects will be staining the wood, replacing the carpets, and cleaning the seats, while the dash is out for repair. We are also going to start on some of the body work repairs while we wait on the dash. The dates have been announced for the 2020 Vintage and I have my sights set on driving it up.

That pretty much brings this up to date, sorry if it reads a little weird I copied it from another forum.
Appreciate 16
2000cs3447.00
MKSixer34171.50
N54Yankee2706.00
HFW0035664.50
Dang3r12503.00
GERMAN M34176.50
MikeM5261.00
yousefnjr6115.00
David701567.00
F30Andy1748.50
AlexFL7833.00