View Single Post
      02-01-2021, 07:46 PM   #6
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikboberg View Post
It is has been REALLY wet, so even parts of the engine bay is covered in ice. I'll try to get it towed to a nearby garage and let it thaw to see if this resolves the issue, but just seems weird to me that it can't handle cold temps.

If thawing it doesn't help, do you have any recomendations as to what to do next? The issue seemingly has something to do with the starter, so is getting it to a workshop my best bet, or is it something that is possible to change by myself with a pair of helping hands? Saw some ridiculous qoutes to get it changed by BMW...:/
You have an automatic transmission, right? Otherwise you can tow-start the car (see the manual, page 270).

I still don't think thawing will help (By "seriously wet" I meant the engine, not the car by the way. I had my car covered with thick ice. It was only hard to open the door.), especially as you have an iDrive error. You need a garage that can read and interpret your car's error code(s) in case it's not too obvious what's wrong. Mechanical repair does not need an official service (it can only be necessary for complex electric/coding work, they say).

So, for a safer bet yet reasonable pricing, you need a non-official BMW service (a garage aware of BMW specifics). The starter should not need replacement: it's designed for the infamous Stop/Start system and thus must have plenty of resource (unless it's been used vigorously therefore ). There should be services that can repair a starter at a reasonable price.
Appreciate 0