Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavus View Post
ok yeah although his use case is suspect. let's say you are out at work and the freezing rain starts. I would rather have snows than all seasons. He said -10C so that means some black ice also. I guess all seasons could be ok for very short trips.
I live in Central Virginia in the mountains. Winter of 2020 we had a midday snow storm that dropped about 6 inches. By the time I left work in N. Virgina, 80 miles from home the roads were mostly cleared but crunchy with treated surfaces. Dumbass me decided to take the short way (8 miles vs. 14) home over the road that has the corkscrew (drops 900 feet in a mile). The road had been plowed about 300 feet in going up a hill. Then I was driving on an untreated road, keeping momentum up and following tracks made by the local Boys in their lifted CK10's. This road is my personal racetrack, it is not straight and it is not level. As I approached the last quite-steep hill that tops at the corkscrew, the DSC kicked in and cut engine power, I lost momentum and stuck the Pilot Sport AS4-shoed E90 in the middle of the road.

A brisk three mile walk home. Grabbed my neighbor, a few snow shovels, and the Hummer. We dug the E90 out, backed it down the hill a 100 feet turned around and I followed the Hummer out on the same unloved, untreated country road I came in on. Then drove around the mountain like I should have in the first place and got home in one piece. The AS4's had a good 20,000 on them.

Everyone says all-seasons suck and are a compromise for all seasons...

BS.
good story

so why are snows mandatory in Europe and Canada?

why dies bmw offer winter wheel packages?

anyway snows for me

I know I know TR hopes to increase sales …
I'm sure their data are pretty good and I would absolutely get winter tires over all season tires if I was going to drive on frozen precipitation. Having multiple vehicles I have the luxury of keeping the M2's usage to dry pavement only.
Appreciate 1
Mavus2029.50