Thread: E39 hype
View Single Post
      03-20-2023, 03:10 PM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

How can anyone over-hype the E39? According to many, probably the pinnacle of BMW's ability to put together a genuine spread of talents, virtually no other BMW (or competitor) has ever matched.

That applies, whether we look at the 530i, the brilliant M5, or the impact the 530d had on many markets. The proportions, the interior design, fit, finish and detail, excelled. The handling and comfort on M-Tech suspension was so well balanced, it earned its praise and accolades from the motoring press and users alike.

AutoCar here in the UK described the E39 5-series, "So close to perfect". My own observation, owning a 540i wagon, BMW produced a truly refined model which was 'complete' down to the smallest details, like the precise damping of switches and controls. No wonder the E39 earned the title of "Executive Car of the Year", most years of its production, here in the UK.

I expected the E60 to improve on the E39, it didn't. Even the F10/11, based on the 7-series platform and parts, although a good car, just doesn't ooze the same "sum of the parts" BMW achieved in the E39.

My next door neighbour bought an E39 535i back in 1998, ran it almost 300,000 miles, until an accident wrote it off. He went out immediately and found another genuine example. His wife still drives it most days, still looks good on the road, the 'purr' of the V8, as good as it gets.
Appreciate 2
KevinM2935.50