View Single Post
      01-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #19
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
In the really old days, the gearbox used to be unsynchronized, so the driver had to double declutch the shifts.
No need for this: I have to wait for my gearbox to shift (synchronize?) already and it's annoying . In my previous car the gearbox was less precise but faster: I could shift almost as fast as I could, with quite a fluid motion, without losing too much revs. meanwhile. It seems it's getting better, hopefully, but still quite far from really good.

Quote:
There was also a lever on the steering wheel for advancing the ignition based on RPM and load.
The modern Formula One cars appear to have similar controls on the steering wheel.

Quote:
The F20/F21 is also notoriously well balanced
I appreciate that! I'm not really looking for complexity, especially the unnecessary, redundant one. I just want to drive the car rather than only ride it.

Quote:
Letting the car handle these task, leaves the driver focused on the core task of racing, which is to find the right line and speed around the track.
What about the ability to take the line at the speed? "I know the line, the speed and someone who can do it!"?

Quote:
In my older cars, there were some lines I wanted to take, but the brakes and suspension made it impossible. I got wheels in the air, understeer, oversteer or locked wheels on corner entry. The F20 goes whereever I want it to with no issues.
What's the fun of taking an easy line, no matter how good it is? I guess not much. A good line deserves both a good car and a good involvement to take it at a good speed, IMHO.
Appreciate 0