01-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #18
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
But doesn't it prevent you from controlling the braking process? You simply kick the pedal down as hard as you can and let the ABS do it all, stealing the fun of driving, don't you?

To me, it's not about braking deeply into the corners, it's rather about having the driving skills involved: kicking dumb hard is just too easy, applying the appropriate effort, finding the proper breaking/steering combination/sequence is more challenging. Otherwise it's just like having the faster car and claiming you're a faster driver.
Yes, you have a point there. Driving without ABS requires more skill. In the really old days, the gearbox used to be unsynchronized, so the driver had to double declutch the shifts. There was also a lever on the steering wheel for advancing the ignition based on RPM and load. Modern cars a lot easier to drive. The F20/F21 is also notoriously well balanced, so there is hardly any work involved with the pedals to constantly fight understeer or oversteer, like I had to do in my previous cars.

Letting the car handle these task, leaves the driver focused on the core task of racing, which is to find the right line and speed around the track. In my older cars, there were some lines I wanted to take, but the brakes and suspension made it impossible. I got wheels in the air, understeer, oversteer or locked wheels on corner entry. The F20 goes whereever I want it to with no issues. At least in the summer it does.

For me the winter season is the car control season. It is about going sideways and sliding all over the track, not nevessarily going fast. For this type of driving, I could do without the ABS.
Appreciate 0