View Single Post
      07-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #14
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I've seen the progression over 25 years through owning so many BMWs, and they're still the master of all in one package. I guess some will just continue to whine and complain about everything, whatever.
Some of you guys seem to be having a different conversation. This isn't really about the merits of products BMW is building today - many of those are very good, and I don't see where the OP nor the article he cites are actually trying to claim they aren't.

This is about BMW's strategic position in relationship its competitors, where they might have been if for better vision and fewer mis-steps, and how they can regain their place as a market leader in the coming decades as the shift to BEV and PHEV accelerates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
And it had some cutting edge, potentially industry leading tech when it came out. But the decision to “follow” the rest of the industry by making the design look like brick on wheels pretty much doomed the car from the start.
Indeed. It's a vehicle you decide to buy despite its looks, not because they are appealing as part of the overall package.

The other thing that doomed it was the liberal use of CFRP which, while a nice idea to try to keep weight in check, makes the vehicle expensive to produce. And more damningly, it means the entire architecture itself is a dead-end in a market where competitors can produce similar vehicles at a lower cost on platforms that employ less exotic materials.
Appreciate 4
clee1982797.50
NickyC17437.50
Efthreeoh17197.50