JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinscher View Post
I've gotten more comments on my Uboat than any other watch. I've never seen someone walk up to a guy and say, "wow nice generic looking granpa watch."

BMW's are not understated cars, so why are you'll saying understated watches go well with a BMW? I'm thinking we are dealing with a generational gap here...

When I think about German engineering I think of a quality build product that is HUGE. They made Big submarines, Giant tanks, Cannons, Trains and also mining equipment for today's world. It's a country that is't afraid to go big and they did it successfully.

so, tell me again how understated watches that have almost no character reflect BMW's awesome or anything that is German engineering.
If you really want a watch that reflects modern-day German engineering, you need to be looking at Sinn, or Damasko, or Nomos, or Mühle Glashütte, or Archimede, or Tourby...not U-Boat.

The Germans are known worldwide for functional, understated design. Flashy and overstated would be the Italians (you know, the nation where U-Boat is made). All of the "big" things you listed that Germany made, date back to WWII, so yes, maybe we are dealing with a generation gap here, and you just remember the days of "big" German machines. When I want to get flashy and "big" with a watch, I do reach for an Italian, but mine is a Panerai, not a U-Boat.

I'd also disagree with you that BMW isn't basically one of the most understated luxury marques in existence. Perhaps Audi is even more understated, but I don't really think any of the German cars (maybe Porsche) screams "look at me!" If that's what someone is looking for in a car, again they should probably be looking at something Italian.
Appreciate 1
RABAUKE4658.00