06-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #40
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

I want to say a few things, LONG POST!

First of: Good way of thinking

1M is the second car in my family; my wife drives another car and whenever we go somewhere around the city all family (two small kids) on week-ends we take that other car which is more economical, practical and spacious, a dedicated family car which takes all the beating.

I also don't really need to take 1M for work, close distance, 20 minutes walk. But I still do take it most of the time because I miss to drive it otherwise and it gives me the chance and motivation to go for a drive after the work if I want to

I never park outside, on a street, shopping mall etc. I just parked it in my own garage in the condo (underground with security) or work place garage where my space is reserved (also underground with security). Only time it spent the night out was just 2 nights in 2 years at a fancy spa hotel. I checked it before sleeping at those 2 nights, lying to wife, saying I forgot something in the car and need to take it (map etc.) Yes!

99% of the time I use it alone, no passengers, no luggage, nothing.
Nobody other than me drives it, never happened since delivery day, no vale, no dealer service, wife, no one, not even one time. Wife is allowed but scared to do so because "shit can happen and she doesn't want to be the one who is driving if it does"

I believe a high percentage of 1M owners are like me (or worse...or better...choose your word). I don't really know if the car made us like this or we chose it because we were like this, typical!

And this car is not a Lotus Elise, it is very easy to drive and not really unconfortable, not at all, that is all horse sh*t whoever wants to make you believe so that it is a car with lots of compromises. I had rare but very pleasant trips with two huge child seats at the back and full family in the car, no one complained a thing all day. When friends and family visit us in Chile we usually take them (usually a couple) for long day trips and the result is the same, other than passengers getting scared when I forget their presence for a moment and make a quick 140 to 240 km/h pass which happens. Luggage space is good size and shape, very usable, noise level and highway ride is comfortable (mine doesn't drone anymore like stock because of exhaust mods and I ride on stock size Michelin PSS which are better than PS2 in every way, especially comfort and wet traction). What makes it really less practical is probably the fact that it is a compact 2 door coupe not a five door hatch. Also an auto box is always easier and more comfortable to drive than a manual if you live in a big city.

Again, REAL choice is between relatively (more) fun car vs. relatively (more) comfortable car. As in most cases with all married men including myself your wife will probably make this call, in my case I was fortunate enough to buy her a car just a month before my 1M arrived (surprise surprise)

Hope this also helps. Good luck and enjoy your choice.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0