View Single Post
      03-21-2024, 01:26 PM   #61
RichardInCA
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 BMW i5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
Which are vague, unless I missed it. 20% improvement in range - of which model, or across the board? 30% improvement in efficiency - again, on which basis? It would be more honest to say hard facts of each model - X miles of range on an X kWh battery pack or they could say X mi / kWh.

This whole thing feels like an aspirational platform. Maybe they’re pushing the marketing so everyone doesn’t go buy an electric Macan or a new Model 3. The new Model Y is coming soon, too.
From what I’ve read that’s based upon the energy density they’re seeing with their packs and extrapolating to real world use. Efficiency gains are also coming from weight savings and aero I would imagine. All these things don’t seem like leaps of faith but are logical incremental steps from where we are today from what I can see.

Range is itself an incredibly vague concept - we’ve been kicking that around on the G60 forum for several of us with i5’s - depending upon temperature and driving conditions reported “range” is varying from low 200’s to over 300 miles (I’m beating BMWs figures in the 270-280mile region after 3,500miles). So what actually is the range? “It depends”. BMW seems to do a better job of hitting real world range relative to Tesla.

If Neue Klasse can give me 20-30% boost in usable kWh and bump efficiency routinely over 4+ mi/kWh (like Lucid have done with their Air) then that will be a major step forward, but it’s all promises for now as you note.
Appreciate 0