View Single Post
      06-25-2021, 06:48 PM   #1
Coi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 M40i, 07 Z4MR

Any BMW compatible lightweight shift knobs?

I know a lot of people like the feeling of a weighted shift knob on their manual bmws. ZHP knob is a popular mod but some people go even heavier. My car came with an aftermarket 500 g knob and while it's certainly nicely made I don't like the way the shifts feel.

I personally don't mind the notchiness and have a nice SSK on my Z4MR so a lighter shift knob will increase the mechanical feeling and the perceived precision. I also had a very light delrin one on my last car and really liked it.

I was trying to find a quality lightweight shift knob that's a direct fit for BMW shifters but there don't seem to be many options out there. I can't even find any that use an adaptor. Only place I did see was Ireland Engineering but they have mixed reviews on forums in terms of quality and customer service and I don't know how well their M15x1.5 "Thread-on & Push-on" will fit a modern car. Tried calling but they didn't pick up.

Would a stock shift knob be the best option for something light? The stock one for my car is backlit (cool) and extremely expensive (not cool). Anyone have any suggestions for an aftermarket lightweight shift knob for BMW? Don't strictly have a budget but I don't see much reason to pay over $150.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0