View Single Post
      10-03-2021, 08:45 PM   #30
Mike00
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 Z06 M7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinmark12 View Post
You know how many people own 100k car and live with their parents. Owning a expensive home to me is a sign of wealth not a car. Mortgage payments,Property taxes and up keep you can't be poor.
The house is probably a better cue than the car, but even then I know plenty of people who are house broke and can’t really afford anything outside of basic living and the mortgage/taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ice View Post
I don’t see how $100,000 allows a younger person to comfortably purchase a $80,000 car if they have a family and normal living expenses. Sure wouldn’t advise my own kid in that direction.
Agreed - I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t buy an $80k car on $150-175k a year income.

That said I think this is the biggest take away from this thread - there simply is no rule when you look at the massive range in COL and specific wants/desires out of life across all of America.

I’ll also agree with some enthusiasts on this thread that for some a car is a greater priority. It’s the one item I truly waste my income on (mostly because I know how many additional investments I could make going with a Camry vs a nice car).

Because there’s so many variables for me it comes down to - no credit card debt, some type of property for living (personal aversion to rent), and retirement - are you putting towards adequate retirement income into a 401k or other investments. If you do that then the rest is up to personal choice in my opinion - too many Americans don’t plan for retirement though and I don’t get that when you consider how much longer we are living these days and particularly the younger group will continue to live.
Appreciate 2
m20e30871150.00