johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbenny View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys!
Im going for a test drive on wednesday but unfortunately they only have 8AT no manuals.
Even looking on carsales 2nd hand there is only 1 manual for sale, everything else is 8AT.
I only hear great things about the auto transmission in the m135i. But even when driving other cars with great twin clutch jobs, I still miss the feeling of a clutch and a stick to throw about (especially in a RWD).
Im leaning towards this car purely for its performance, so I want to be as enjoyable as possible
Mine is manual and the clutch, gearbox and interaction this brings is one of the high points of the car. There's just that extra layer of involvement - you can change fast, slow, use the torque, use the revs. The car pulls so well everywhere that it simply never feels slow. I drove the auto three times and agree it is probably the best non-manual 'box on sale this side of $100K, but the brief of the car was driving enjoyment.

As for resale - who really knows? It's possible the manual will hold interest as it will be so rare - less than 1 in 20 on carsales are self-shifters at present. People on the internet are always banging on about the death of the manual - if they put their money where their mouths are in 3-4 years time.....
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0