View Single Post
      09-30-2010, 08:58 PM   #29
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Fine, we can agree to disagree. I suppose the Boxster Spyder has no appeal to you, what with a lack of radio and a $60k price tag.

I get what you're saying about technology, I guess I'd just prefer that BMW place it in the actual mechanicals of the car, and passes on gimmickry inside, or at least gets the basics right (cough, LSD, cough) before making fluff standard. I'm all for the option of a touch screen, especially one that's better integrated than it is on our 1ers, and stuff like BT, iPod connections and the new B&O stereo stuff, but one of the great things BMW has offered even US buyers, has been the choice to pick just how much of that stuff you want, not forcing it on us like Audi, Acura and many other do in an attempt to provide "value". Not everyone values those things, and the opportunity to leave them out is something I welcome.

Finally, decontented cars don't drive any differently than those with all the options, and are usually lighter too. A 3er with every option, for all intents and purposes, drives just like one with no options. I've personally considered an M3 sedan with the cloth seats, no sunroof, all three pedals and a non metallic color. You can spend the same money fairly easily on a 335i sedan, and I'm sure the majority of buyers would prefer the heavily contented 335i, but I like that BMW makes both available. Why are choices bad? If it's only because it creates an artificially low base price for buyers who want lots of options, or even that the average car on the lot is no where near the base price, I'm not sure that bothers the average buyer.
Yes, of course we can agree to disagree, which I think we are doing.

I do like the Boxster S. It's very appealing if I had $60K to spend on a car.
But, it does come with an audio system, 7 total speakers including a sub-woofer too.
And, it has partial powered seats, leather, power windows, power locks, power mirrors, heated mirrors too, all standard.
Just the base Boxster S would is a very appealing package.
Porsche however goes CRAZY with all the options you can get.

But, I didn't say there is anything wrong with choices.
And there is nothing wrong with adding value either, by putting in standard content that keeps an automobile price competitive as well as appealing for it's price point.

Putting in a control screen shouldn't add weight. It would probably come as a wash when you consider all the other buttons you could remove.
Look at the HVAC and stereo already in there, seat heater buttons.
It would just combine all those things in one unit, clean and uncluttered.

The choice and option for NAV could still be there.
Adding a standard item like what I'm suggesting, keeps the cost low due to economy of scale. It adds to the appeal for most buyers in a car that already costs quite a bit.

It sounds to me that you would like a "club racer" type 1, that would forgo weighty things like power seats, owr windows, sunroof, audio system, sound damping, etc..., in return for a lighter overall package, with an LSD added or course.
That would be a cool version. It probably wouldn't appeal to a large number of people, but it would be a cool option/choice for those who value the purity of BMW mechanicals.
This makes more sense than de-contenting the standard model.
It should also be lower in cost.

Heck, even Hyundai did that for a more driver focused version of their Genisis coupe. Although they left a lot of content still in there, that probably could have and should have come out, and even lowered the cost more.
It comes as an R-Spec 2.0 4cy turbo, and R-Spec 3.8 V6. They added a track tuned sport suspension, Brembo brakes, LSD, adjustable camber bolts too.
Tuners seem to like the turbo for it's obvious tuning potential over the heavier NA V6.

Last edited by RPM90; 09-30-2010 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0