07-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #60
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
^^^^Just saw a clip about this bridge on Smithsonian's Aerial California.

Damn nice image.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
thank you, Joe.
My pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Yes indeed, we are back on track.

I can't find anything "wrong". You either got up early for dawn or stayed late for the sunset to capture wonderful natural saturation of this scene. The balance of the composition is perfect, with the coastline leading your eye out of the frame.

It would be even more stupendous IF mother nature had cooperated and thrown a few dramatic clouds into the sky. Still, this exemplary of nature, scenic and wildlife photography, you can plan, check the weather forecast, set up and wait, but we're not totally in control.

Well done.
Thanks for the kind words. I was really lucky.... well, yeah pretty lucky. I woke up that morning in San Diego with a plan to drive up the coast to Bixby Bridge specifically for pics, then head back to Big Sur for sunset dinner. Traveling with my wife meant i departed late by 2 hours had to high tail it to the bridge to make it there by sunset. That was the one thing i had planned for the coastal road trip and a sunrise pic would do me no good. So i was putting our G37X rental through it's paces trying to get there in time. All the images i got of that bridge came within 6 minutes of getting out of the car! Mother nature cooperated as well as i could ask giveing the situation! The sun was below the horizon about 7 minutes after taking the pics.

I didn't have time of course, but i wonder how this would have looked if i just took a single image with my 16-35 rather than three with the 24-70. At the time i felt like the 16-35 would make the subject appear further away.

Sorry for the extra post, but i love hearing the stories about how or why the image was captured. Figured i'd share mine

Hopefully someone will jump in and critique your Denver Airport shot; cause i don't have a bad thing to say about it. Technically speaking it seems to be great. Composition is super interesting. I love how the perspective lines cross. How the posts go from left to lower right and the arches draw your eyes from right to lower left. Very interesting image, something i can imagine seeing on the wall in a nice restaurant or home.

I'll let someone else take a crack at it and post their image.