11-05-2021, 08:27 AM   #91
giphlag
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post

The point I made over EVs being not as green as people think is simple:

- there are issues with battery recycling on massive scale in 10 years but we are simply told that they will be used to store energy (may be in some advanced western part of society, but in most cases I can tell you what will happen - Western Europe and USA will be selling these batteries with cars in them to Africa and poorer parts of the world, as almost gifts, like they do today with solar panels - and leave the recycling problem there, not at home). And yes, I think this is dodgy gift, but this is what has been always done by richer countries, and especially last 100 years+. Corruption in poorer countries certainly not helpful, but we also will forbid them to mine fossil fuels and get richer (instead, we offer them our left overs). This is sketchy but no one thinks about this. It is easier that way I suppose...

I hear you on the recycling issue but early signs of movement in that sector have me cautiously optimistic. For instance:

1) American Battery Technology Company just raised ~$40M
2) Redwood Materials got a $50M investment from Ford
3) Li-Cycle received a $100M investment from Koch Investments Group
4) Battery Resourcers raised $70M in funding to expand to Europe

So that's nearly $260M in new funding for these 4 companies alone. I think you need to give this a little bit of time
Appreciate 0