View Single Post
      08-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #28
amgraham
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 x35d

I had to google this because it seemed like an absurd, weird thing to do. As others have mentioned, it does seem commonplace in Ontario but not in other provinces, at all.

I'm not sure why this seems to generally accepted there but yeah... the math does not work out, at all. A few google hits seemed to indicate that the average cost to purchase and install a typical water heater in Ontario is between $1400 to $1600. At $30 a month, the tank is paid off in four years or so... Home Depot and Lowes there offer same-day or next day installation, just like they do here. Google also shows a number of independent guys offering the same service.

We don't have gas here; we're all electric. A few years ago I replaced my 80 gallon electric unit myself. The original one was 12-ish years old and I don't know how well it was maintained. I replaced it pre-emptively, before it went bad for about $500 or so. I do drain it every year and funnel some CLR in there to do whatever marginal decalcification I can since we're on somewhat hard well water. I also replace the lower element at that time. The top only every few years. It wasn't too bad to install and the maintenance is easy enough, just a bit of a hassle. I thought getting rid of the old heater would be a pain but... our driveway is 300 feet long, all downhill from the house. I just rolled it down the driveway, put a sign on it that said "Free - For Scrap" and some guy pulled in and loaded it up before I'd even walked back up to the house.

That seems like crazy expensive piece-of-mind. Just because it's commonplace there doesn't justify it, to me. Your big box stores up there have units with a 10-year warranty for under $1000. Even at a $1000 for install you're still coming out ahead with almost half the warranty remaining, let alone the time it continues to function after 10 years. Local code/ordinance may require that you have a licensed electrician or plumber do that sort of work and that varies I'm sure, like it does here depending on local or state codes. But... That doesn't mean you *can't* do it. I'm pretty sure I've done a number of projects where I probably needed a "permit" or was supposed to hire a "professional". Right...

...and I do have a perfectly functioning 14-year-old car that's required nothing but regular maintenance. Granted it's a 2004 Miata that sees 3-season duty and low miles but... Many cars should have no problem lasting over 15 years, easy, with proper maintenance and maybe a few issues here and there. My X5, of course, required more repairs in two years than the Miata did in ten. But I knew that going in... Not sure that's a good comparison...
Appreciate 0