AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Smile 2016 BMW M8 supercar speculation by Car and Driver

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I read this with a grain of salt because the M8 rumors are constantly on-again off-again. Plus, they don't cite any sources so this could just be fantasy stats. But keeping my fingers crossed.

This was the last rumor prior to this one, where CAR also said the M8 project plans were firming up
- http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=800282

Name:  bmw-m8-updated-inline-photo-514506-s-original.jpg
Views: 18953
Size:  148.5 KB

What It Is: The BMW M8 is the first supercar from the blue-spinner crew since 1981, when the last of the 453 BMW M1s were sold. The M8 coupe will feature a few retro design cues, but also state-of-the-art gasoline-powertrain technology. The structure and body  will use lightweight materials, such as carbon fiber, aluminum, magnesium, and even titanium, in pursuit of a 2760-pound target weight.

Why It Matters: As BMW downsizes its mainstream models and introduces electric cars, it runs the risk of degrading its sporting image. A car like the M8 would burnish the reputation of BMW Motorsports.

Platform: The new M8 will be built on the platform of the i8, a futuristic carbon-fiber plug-in hybrid that uses some 5-series components.

Powertrain: An upgraded version of the M5's direct-injected 4.4-liter TwinPower Turbo, coupled to an eight-speed dual-clutch automatic. BMW engineers are talking 600 to 650 horsepower.

Competition: Audi R8, Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG, Porsche 911 Turbo.

What Might Go Wrong: BMW boss Norbert Reithofer is not a fan of this car, but the head of BMW M GmbH, Friedrich Nitschke, is. The top boss could cancel the project at the last minute. The reason: The M8 doesn't strictly comply  with BMW's 21st-century technology strategy, which focuses on alternative powertrains and smart connectivity.

Estimated Arrival and Price: Due in BMW's centennial year of 2016, the M8's target price is 250,000 euros, or $330,000 at current exchange rates.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...17-future-cars
Appreciate 0