View Single Post
      03-06-2017, 03:36 PM   #1
V.I.P.E.R
Rep
Drives: F20

DIY: F20 F21 Power Folding auto dimming & dipping mirrors

Hi guys,

I'm new at the forum and I drive a BMW F20.

DISCLAIMER:
As with all DIY projects, undertake this at your own risk. I am not responsible for anything that happens to you or your car!

I did the power folding auto dimming retrofit with dip function to my F20 - I want to share that with you - and by the way - sorry for my english, I'm not a native speaker.

Basis:
F20 118i 11/2011
normal heating mirrors
auto Timing back mirror

Needed Parts:
- 2 x Mirror with power folding functionality
- new switch for the mirror control with the folding button

Tools:
- shrink tubing
- soldering colt
- Torx screwdriver
- plastic tools for the door covers

Background:
The mirrors in the normal setup where directly connected to the switch on the driver side. So they are directly controlled. In the new setup they are Controlled via Lin BUS. These are basically the differences.
On the driver side, Lin Bus is already there - on the passenger side not ...

Opportunities ? Later more ...

Steps:
1. lower the Panel on both sides and put the mirror glas on both sides in the upset possible position.

2. disconnect battery

3.remove both door covers. (some torx screws, use a plastic tool to remove them safely). Dont kill the metal clips at the top!

4. remove both inner doof frames where the small speakers are located. The frames are also tightened with clips.

5.Remove the mirror glas with a plastic tool from the bottom. Lever it towards yourself slowly. Reattach the tool several times around the glas. Afterwards remove the mirror cover. It is tightened at three points inside the mirror with some kind of plastic clips. Four hands instead of two helped a lot here
Two hands try to loosen the clips, the other two should try to remove the cover.
Same for the other side.

6. Now it is possible to remove the mirrors. It is tightened with three torx screws (one is hided unter some rubber).
Loose the mirror connector plug first.

7. Mount the new mirrors in the same way you removed the old ones. Plug in the cable.

8.Now the mounting is finished. Driver side is plug and play, if you replace the switch ... Because Lin is already located there (you remember - I mentioned this before) But what is about the passenger side?

So I did some research in the Internet and in Rhinegold and I started to wondering what happened with the three cables which were used in the old "normal" variant? You are guessing right - nothing. So they will remain useless.

But - how many cables do we need for getting the passenger mirror working? - We will need three of them. Perfect - this sound ideal. One little problem is the cabel profile - it is not the same than in the original wire ring diagram. But from my point of view - this is not a big problem. Not much power running through it.

So - we are able to proceed:

9. Following steps are needed on the connector of S35 (at the passenger switch)
Pin 7,8,9 are the useless pins which where directly connected to the passenger mirror.
I've opened the connector and connected the following pins with the soldering bolt. ( you can do it how ever you prefer ... )

Pin 7 mit Pin 1 (ground)
Pin 8 mit Pin 2 (Lin Bus)
Pin 9 mit Pin 10 (power)

You can see the disconnected cables from pin 7,8,9 and the connected cables to the mentioned above pins.

10. Put everything together

11. Connect Battery

12. Code: Add 430 to FA and code FEM VO

Done

Thanks and feel free to ask if something is unclear.

best
Tim
Attached Images

Appreciate 0