View Single Post
      01-13-2019, 01:19 PM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I got my son an Elantra after he got his driving license. He was still a new driver driving down my street when a high school student blew past a stop sign on a side street and plowed into my son's car hitting it solidly on the side. It threw my son's car into the other lane where it hit a Jeep and flipped the jeep over on its roof.

The girl who blew through the stop sign broke her arm. My son was fine.

The point to my story is safety is a key concern for a new driver, much more so than a performance car. He will have plenty of time to develop a love for and ability to drive performance cars.

Your wife's Lexus might be a good choice IF it has all the safety features (blind spot warning, emergency braking, etc.). For a new driver I would not provide him with a car without all the new safety features.

Your other alternative is, of course, a 1980 Volvo station wagon!

My first car after college was a used Mercedes 190D. It had 250K miles on it when I got it. I used to joke that it was 0-60 in a week and a half. Recently, out of curiousity, I looked it up. It was actually rated at 0-60 in 26 seconds!! So my original estimate wasn't far off.
Appreciate 0