tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
So few questions here.

What actually broke? Was it a latch? Were there plastic components involved that “might’ve” had a hairline crack that you hadn’t noticed but by the time they got their hands on it it gave out?

I like to say the best problem solvers are problem preventers.

How many times have you gone to this dealer? You said other dealer and it was a routine change so was this your first time at this location?
Issues prior to this with them if you’ve been there more than once?

Was it only a battery change? If so why not do it yourself? Can get a code reader that registers new battery’s for pretty much the price of one diagnostic charge from a dealer. So to prevent the dealer from breaking your trunk to replace a battery or even light bulb for that matter why not do it yourself? I’m pretty selective of who works on my car besides me. For as meticulous as you sound of the way you might want something done, why not change your own battery and this instance could’ve been entirely avoided. Since I was 17 I’ve changed all my own batteries. One of the reasons that got me into tinkering on cars, looking at manuals for that matter and reading them was a dealer sold me a car with blown fog lights said those weren’t covered in used cars and it’d be $220 to replace both. Cost me $2 and just reaching under not even lifting the car to replace them myself. And the owners manual told me how to do it. That was before the internet with the umpteen million how tos that are on this board alone.

So guess moral of this is if it’s simple and your baby why didn’t you change your own battery?

And I do feel your pain of a broken trunk problem. Canada customs broke my trunk on my way home on my second car I ever had. No liability for them to cover that I had to bungy it to get home. So you got off lucky having the dealer ultimately cover it.
I'm not reading all that and not sure why you insist upon defending this dealer...you dunno the facts at all. You wanna bet your life on it? Your net worth? Bring it. SMH. They ended repairing the thing for free so that is proof enough; they checked their own cams - my car went in, they asked to open the trunk before the service, everything was fine, they meddled w the trunk and battery, and then the trunk didn't work anymore after they returned it. Nuff said. You're trying to blame the victim cuz I didn't diy? Get outta here. I don't wanna work and feel like paying others to do the grunt work, good enough for ya? The Z4's battery work is not as routine as other cars, so I left it to the 'supposed' experts and not an indy but they still screwed up somehow.

EDIT: I didn't "get off lucky" gimme a break dude. Totally different situations talking about car work vs border customs...stay off the pipe man and something tells me you were asking for it w that attitude.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?

Last edited by tranquility; 11-14-2023 at 12:05 AM..
Appreciate 0