View Single Post
      06-21-2023, 11:24 AM   #306
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

I posted this on another forum so thought I'd drop it in here for those interested:

I didn't want to muddy up @savagegeese 's thread with thoughts from my personal, although limited, interaction with the DE5 Integra Type S so thought it best to start a new one. This could also be a space for others to share their thoughts after personal experiences with the car via test drives, walkarounds, or ride alongs.

I was able to spend about 90 minutes yesterday morning with the ITS at a local dealership. I've been in contact with the General Sales Manager over the last several months and true to his word, he sent me an e-mail last week when the car arrived. I was able to drive it, perform the interior/exterior walkaround, and chatted with the General Sales Manager for a bit. The car was Platinum Pearl White with the Red/Dark Metal Trim interior. The car also had about $6,500 in dealership add-ons some of which included the following Genuine Acura Accessories:
19" Copper-Finish Alloy Wheels
Valve Stem Caps
Gloss Black Emblems
Carbon Fiber Tailgate Spoiler
Carbon Fiber Door Mirror Cover
Black Wheel Locks
Titanium Shift Knob; and
Alcantara Steering Wheel
I obviously didn't have the opportunity to live with the car for days or get to take it to the track but I have a few observations I'd like to share.

What I Liked
-Interior orientation and ergonomics are similar to the 11th gen Civic
-Factory wheels look good and are especially nice in the copper finish
-Power delivery felt smoother and more refined than the FL5 CTR. It's clear there is slightly more power in the ITS and it's noticeable on the street
-NVH is better when compared to the FL5 CTR
-Exhaust is still relatively quiet but an upgrade over the CTR exhaust system
-ELS STUDIO 3D Premium Audio system sounds good! It's more bass forward but it offers a more immersive audio experience. I'm certain with ample configuration, it will serve the likes of most.
-Suspension tuning is more livable for daily driving across all Drive Modes
-Transmission - no further explanation needed.

What I Didn't Like
-Seats. This was a big miss. I expected a more supportive and aesthetically pleasing seat for this type of car.
-Throttle overrun in Sport+ Drive Mode is something I could do without. It's interesting the "Civic Type R for Adults" has an exhaust that crackles and pops.
-Gloss black trim on the interior console.
-Styling. The exterior styling is decent and works for 2023 but I don't expect it to age well.
-Very light clutch pedal. I like a little resistance for clutch feel
-Rev hang. It's still there and very annoying
-No LogR or equivalent
-It doesn't feel "special". It's difficult to articulate that feeling but you know it when you see it/feel it.
-Sticker price. $52K is still a very difficult number to get comfortable with relative to what you're getting.

Bottom Line
The ITS was about what I expected it to be. Some wins, some misses, and a few surprises. It's a solid offering, good for the Honda/Acura brand and great for enthusiasts. While enjoyable enough, I didn't walk away thinking, "I would buy that car!" or "I prefer this over my FL5 CTR." The challenge for me is still the price point of $52K which will undoubtedly rise throughout the production cycle. The other side of that is it appears this car can be had for MSRP, and quite frankly, below if you're a savvy buyer and/or willing to wait. Early indications are that anyone who wants an ITS should be able to get one at a fair price.

I'll end with the following: the reviews from Car and Driver, Motor Trend, and the YouTubers are fantastic, but there's no better opinion than your own. Go out and drive the car yourself. Take advantage of dealers allowing people to demo this thing and drive the wheels off it. Unfortunately, that's not something you can do with the CTR at this juncture. Anyhow, I look forward to hearing from others who have had the opportunity to drive the ITS.
MmmmmM22588.50