11-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #65
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboatster View Post
Bullshit) as an owner of a project b8 s4 which basically a pre-“lci” b8.5, I could not disagree more. For starters, a6’s engine is NOT the same as s4. It has a supercharger too and 3 liter, but much weaker. Will burn oil too, although less than their 2.0T engines.
Here’s a rundown of issues:
Leaky thermostat, water pump and bad pcv. Quite involving job.
Melted cats - very difficult to replace. Cats will melt if the op doesn’t resist the temptation to tune the car. It’s very tempting because more power is sc pulley and reflash away.
I guess one saving grace is that it doesn’t have a dl501 dsg which is so reliable and smooth.
Anyways, that thing won’t be trouble free and if op is not a diy type, will be expensive. And mlb platform Audis are more difficult to work in than e90 bmws for sure.
Complexity is the enemy of reliability. Luxury cars, especially if they are loaded up, come with lots of complex systems. The more systems, the more likely that one will fail.

If reliability is the primary concern, buy a basic vehicle with no options. But from the thread, I don't think that is the OP's primary concern.
Appreciate 1