View Single Post
      01-17-2019, 08:43 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSto View Post
As they are fairly similar cars can anyone shed some more light on the main differences I can expect?
Power. If you won't like it you shouldn't buy a BMW. Just make as certain as possible the 120i has not been tuned!

Quote:
Any pro’s/con’s between the two?
A properly owned car should be WAY better than an orphan! The 118i appears to have high mileage for a "showroom model", doesn't it? And those were careless (hard?) miles. Yet, a bad owner could be even worse. It's a shame you won't meet him/her. It should really worth it looking at the owner.

Quote:
I’m test driving both on Monday - is there anything I should look out for?
Check the service history, if possible (120i in particular): have there been any warranty issues? 120i must have been serviced already (2 years, right?). Look at the tires: how much worn they are, the rear in particular. The brakes could tell some truth too but you can't see their condition that easily. Mind the cabin, perhaps: whether it has been cleaned meticulously or looks "naturally" tidy. Check the equipment: anything retrofitted into 120i should be doubtful (unless OEM, preferably at the dealer's - paper proof). A used car with extended storage package but basic boot trim (retrofitted) has been questioned here once... I don't know about those "B" engines you consider but N13 has a gentle cooling system - leaks are very possible (if not warmed before pushing hard?).
Appreciate 0