View Single Post
      03-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #46
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i & Cayenne V6

Looks like it was a horrible accident and very glad you survived to be able to talk about it.

I am not speaking from an understanding of the science of all of this, but I can say that having owned a large number of sports cars with different orientations: FWD (Golf Gti, Alfa 147 GTA, Megane RS Trophy), AWD (two different generations of Imprezza Sti) and RWD (E36 M3, E46 Alpina B3S, Boxster S and M135i), it has always been the the RWD sports cars that make me the most nervous when it is raining hard or there is a lot of water on the road.

I have come close to losing cars more than once in the rain but almost all of the scary experiences I have had were in the RWD BMWs (the Boxster S seemed to handle water better, perhaps because of the midship design). I consider myself to be above average in driving skills, tracking all of the cars I've owned at least a few times a year, and don't think these "scary" moments were either because of my poor driving skills or because BMWs are poorly sorted-out sports cars but rather because of the inherent characteristics of driving a high-powered, rear wheel drive car. These moments were certainly not enough to scare me away from BMWs (my new M135i will arrive in 2 weeks!), but rather something that I accept when I buy one (i.e. I drive a little more slowly and more carefully in the rain in a BMW that in my FWD or AWD sports cars).

Rather than make me think the M135 is a bad car, yours and Jeremy's scary experiences are very good reminders to all of us that as much fun as the high hp/RWD mix can be, we need to drive more carefully when the weather turns on us...
Appreciate 0