View Single Post
      06-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #43
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb289 View Post
Autocar tests all three, the results are below.

It may be known as 'the Beast', but can the 355bhp Mercedes A45 AMG overpower the BMW M135i and Volkswagen Golf GTI? Steve Sutcliffe finds out in the biggest hot hatch shootout of the year.

That's unfortunate about the M135i's steering, and lack of proper suspension tuning.
Those are 2 MAJOR systems in a car related to enthusiast driving and the cars capability.
Great engine, but we've known that about the N55 since it came out a few years back.

I'm really looking forward to the new 2 series for the US market.
And I am hoping they fixed the poor suspension tuning of the E82 135i that I had.
But, the review here doesn't bode well for BMW having corrected it, and the steering is now lack luster, where it was just fine and very BMW like in my E82 135i.

The GTI has always been a great little car, and this reviews says that the new GTI is more buttoned down and better suspension and steering than the M135i.
The only issue with the GTI is that it's lower powered.

Interior looks very nice in all 3, but of the 3 the BMW is the most lacking and bland.

I don't like the AMG sedan that's coming to the US, but I do like this hatchback, much more so than the 1 series hatch.
I've always like the GTI's styling.

Some say the AMG shouldn't be compared to the M135i but more to the 1M. I can see that argument.
I'd like to see a new shootout with the BM AMG, BMW M2, and new
VW Golf-R, when it's available.

The most surprising car here is the GTI as it's way down on power yet still manages to keep up in terms of handling, ride, and appearance.
For a lot less

Let's hope the 2 series gets the tuning right, as it will get an electronic steering assist, and it's not so great in my 335i Msport.
Appreciate 0