05-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #49
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
And why does it win? Because it has slightly more power in this engine speed range.

As was also pointed out, if you select a more suitable gear for the petrol engine, the diesel car will struggle to keep up.

To make it more clear what matters, consider a race between me on a bicycle, and a motorcycle:

Me on bicycle:
400 Nm @ 0 RPM, 0.5 hp @ 90 RPM. 100 kg

MC
70Nm @ 10000 RPM, 100 hp @ 14000 RPM, 250 kg

I have a clear advantage on weight and torque, but who will win a 60 meter sprint with standing start? Obviously the motorcycle, since it has more power.
Of course, but you refer to the theorie. Although I admit I'am the joker putting formula's in this post. LOL

The excercise I refer to is very real and it happens exactly almost constantly when you drive your car. I can't imagine many people are keeping the car in their best power band. That would mean that you almost select lowest gear whatever you're doing in the 125i! Come on, get real!?

So when you leave it in a higher gear (I state here expliclitly: this happens 99% of the time), the 125d wins over and over again.

So on a hot lap, both are equal, but in daily traffic, the 125d is superior. And not by a small margin I guess.
Appreciate 0