TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
Its not insulting at all unless one is posing, I grew up the same way loving the brand and the cars, and have owned them for my past 20+ years on the road. Its a fact, when you are envious of someone else, its comical. If it affects you, find another brand, but theres nothing that you or I can do to change this. I was a hater when M announced trucks and turbos and I wont be buying the new M6 due to this change in engine philosophy, but its not the case that I wont by another BMW, I just know now that the company has a different focus and I dont have to have the M to enjoy my ride. Time marches on, you either accept it or it pass you by, but it wont change. Just appreciate what you have and dont worry that I have something as nice, or nicer, it doesnt affect your life, and that my only point. There is no exclusivity in these cars, just in ones mind.
If see what you're saying but I don't think it's the same. BMW's switch to FI needed to be done for regulation purposes and seeing that FI was going to be the future. You nor BMW couldn't change/control that. By switching to FI, their focus of what a M car didn't change. BMW doesn't need to introduce a M Performance line. What BMW is doing with the M badge is changing what it stands for. It's either a M car or it isn't, there shouldn't be a M-lite.

Again, like you, as a driver, it doesn't really affect me because I know what I'm driving but to those who are really into the heritage, it really does hurt to see this happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
As I said above, Audi also has S Line which could be said to dilute the S brand in the same way that MSport could be argued to dilute the M brand.
I don't really think those two really dilute their respective brands. For the most part, it's really just an appearance thing with a difference between the package and the actual model.
Appreciate 0