02-27-2021, 04:02 PM   #37
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw 06 View Post
It seems to me that BMW's rear wheel drive "M Performance" cars (M240i, M340i,...) are pretty much what BMW's old rear wheel drive ZSP Sport Package cars (with sport-tuned suspensions) used to be, but the xDrive models have "SAV" suspensions.

My real M-car, a 2004 E46 M3 Coupe, with its special S54B32 engine, special Getrag gearbox, special clutch-type limited slip differential, special suspension, etc. has 17 M badges.

My fake M-car, a 2021 M240i, has 15 M badges. Most egregious of them all is the M badge on the plastic cover of the stock B58 engine. The M badges on the brake calipers are ridiculous too, especially when considering that the E46 M3 doesn't even have M badges on its brake calipers... Adding insult to injury, customers can't even order a proper limited slip differential as a factory option on the M240i, M340i, etc. For reference, My $25k 2020 Honda Civic SI Sedan came STANDARD with a helical limited slip differential (at 1/2 the price of my M240i)! This indicates to me that BMW isn't too serious about the actual performance of their "M Performance" line of cars...

Anyway. I like my M240i (with the dealer installed M Performance clutch-type limited slip differential), I think its a nice car, and I'm glad that BMW is still producing a few cars like it these days. I also think the adaptive sport suspension in the car is impressive. However, the 15 M badges stuck all over it are a bit too much IMO...
Yes, I know all about the e46. I can still respect what some of the high performance models coming out of BMW are however, even if they aren't real M cars so to speak.

I remember owning an e46 M3 coupe that was factory ordered to my specs (ex: no sunroof) and taking oil samples from my car and sending them to an independent testing laboratory on a regular basis to make sure there weren't any metal shavings in it. Back in the day there were some that had catastrophic failures with the S54 engine. Fortunately mine did not. I loved that car.
Appreciate 0