Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
Mercedes is lost with their AMG models that aren't 63's. No, a M550i is not a real M car and some might say it brings shame on the M name....but a car that does 0-60 in 3.5 or whatever is hardly a shame. An AMG car that is still in the 4.5 range is pathetic. You pay for a badge and no actual performance.
I'm going to respectfully disagree with the M550i vs E53/CLS53 claim. Performance and 0-60 times is not the key reason these cars are bought. These are comfortable everyday cruisers that are supposed to have just enough sporting edge and some speed to be fun on a curvy road.

I had a 540i for almost two years, was unsatisfied, tried the M550i for a weekend - which other than speed, didn't offer much more to the 540 - then tried an E53 as I had read many positive reviews/impressions, and ultimately ended up with a CLS53, my first ever Mercedes, as well as the first ever time I had no BMW in my garage (other than my son's) in over 20 years, and I have to say, I don't miss the 540 at all.

Yes, the E/CLS 53 are slower than the 550, but speed doesn't always make a vehicle the best. Many publications have beaten the 0-60 times - some as low as 4.0 seconds, I myself have felt the vehicle is faster than the manufacturer's claim, but regardless the car is still plenty fast, especially for the use of these vehicles which will likely never see drag strips or be raced from stoplight to stoplight.

The 550 in my opinion is a sterile rocket. It's fast, but it is lacking in involvement and feel that 5-series before the F10 had. It feels heavy and has a surprising amount of body roll, and the steering is bad. Its saving grace is its engine, but honestly, the E/CLS 53 have much better body control, handling reflexes, and more natural steering feel, while still having a pretty unique engine setup that fills in boost with an electric supercharger, and provides a seamless start/stop system for comfort driving - that and I never have to turn off auto start stop anymore. The interior and tech of the 5-series is nicer, but I find my CLS to be more satisfying than any 5-series (other than the M5) I've driven/owned in the last 10 years.

Honestly, in my opinion, it's as if BMW and Mercedes have swapped their roles. The 5-series seems like the comfortable car for retirees, and the E/CLS have become the more lively vehicle of the two. I love BMW, and they are getting a lot of things right after their stumble last decade, specifically their SUVs, the 2-series, 3-series and M5, but the regular 5 and 7-series aren't the best they could be.

I'm sure we'll disagree on this, but that is just my opinion as a former owner of the current 5-series who has moved to "the dark side."
Respectfully, enjoy your Mercedes but calling the M550i a "sterile rocket" is really a stretch. Many will disagree with you there.

I love my G30 and it is far from a retiree car. That's your opinion, not a fact.

Furthermore, the E Class is the de facto taxi cab in Europe (akin to the Ford Crown Victoria) I have rode in many late model E class cans over there and have always found them to be cheap feeing/looking car vehicles. Remind me of exactly that Crown Victoria's. Talk about a retiree mobile.

If anything I always preferred the older W212? E class. Seem to be a higher quality vehicle than the current 2017+ generation.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50