09-03-2019, 09:02 AM   #20
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
Girlfriend is selling her 2016 Pathfinder to get a smaller (No full size please) SUV or a hatchback car. Mazda CX-5 is at the top of the list right now. No Nissan, Infiniti, MB, BMW, Audi etc b/c not owning that out of warranty. However, if the lease deal is right, they would be on the table. For a used purchase, the budget is $20k or less. For a new lease, under $300 per month. She prefers AWD/4WD, but not a requirement if she really likes it otherwise.

What does the forum recommend? RAV4 is also out.
My daughter was about to have her first child in the Chicago area. I wanted a safe but capable car for her with adequate room for baby stroller, diaper bag, etc. but recognized a tight turn into a small garage and the narrow streets.

We ended up deciding between a VW Golf Alltrack and the Mazda CX-5. It was not an easy choice as they are both excellent cars. Right now VW Alltracks can be found for low 20s with a manual transmission and around $25-$27K for one with a dual clutch automated manual. And the 2019 model has the six year OEM warranty.

Without the warranty, I would have opted for the Mazda. But with the warranty, we decided that the lower Alltrack would better fit my daughter's needs. And you won't have any difficulty finding your car...I have yet to see another although my son in law says he has seen one. A true Unicorn.

While not my BMW, so far the car is riding well (although the front passenger grab bar ceased to function). For just a tad more than your budget, you can get a new car with a six year warranty.

I have a personal aversion to CVTs which limited the choices as did the fact that my daugher can't drive a manual (but my son-in-law is looking forward to using the paddle shifters).

Two great vehicles. The other issue is safety. I believe that to get the automated braking on the Mazda, one needs to get at least the Touring version. For the VW, it comes standard on all 2019 models but for the advanced "safety" features (adaptive cruise control, lane assistant, etc.) one needs to go to the SE level and have the option package. From my research that brings the cost closer to $30K for a new car with the DCT.

My final conclusion...two great vehicles.
Appreciate 0