View Single Post
      08-26-2018, 08:37 PM   #22
exwon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longdoggy View Post
Here are my two cents. I've done this "flap mod", "golf tee mod", or whatever you want to call it on both my 335 (before I got the M perf exhaust), and now the X1. Been driving my X1 with the C clamp out now for about 900 of the 920 miles I have on the car.
I've had no issues. You should be fine reinstalling the c clip with some pliers, patience, and a few minutes on your back.
The flap does stay open without propping it open with wire tie or some other reversible method. But, I did notice some rattle recently so the flap seems to have drifted into a rattle position. I was able to swing it back in the non-rattle position in three seconds and all was well in the world again. I do think that perhaps a little wire tie may help to secure the flap open. It's easily reversible when you have to return to stock and it should take care of "flap-drift".

To answer your questions directly:
1) the flap moves easily, but seems to stay in place pretty well. However, I think a little wire tie will go a long way. I don't think it will go from open to close quite so easily though.
2) yes it's pretty easy.
3) I think you'll be totally fine. I've never had any issues, and I don't think you'll find anyone (maybe one outlier, but still doubtable), that had any problems due to the flap mod. It's mainly for sound that I am aware of. I've never noticed any change in warm up times before or after flap mod or any adverse behaviors with the motor and/or cats. Look at it this way; if you were to put on an aftermarket exhaust; let's say a BMW M Performance exhaust; it has no flap. That's got to say something?
To flap, or not to flap. That is the question.
Dumb question but what exactly is meant by 'punching the c-clip so it pops right out'? I stared at it but I wasn't sure how the mechanics of it work. Seemed like I would want to pull it off. Is there a separate spring that's supposed to pop out as well? I looked at the pics in the link above for the gold tee mod but i'm not sure exactly what to pry away/open.
Appreciate 0