View Single Post
      04-05-2021, 01:12 PM   #30
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
When the road isn't straight, that's what I have the M2 for (and soon an SS 1LE). It will space both the Toybaru and the GLC by similar distance.

And I do hear what you're trying to say about a cheap, slow, but fun car. But what does the driving an underpowered coupe prepare you for? There isn't much oversteer to manage, and when it occurs, it occurs s-l-o-w-l-y in comparison to more powerful options.

Next you jump into a proper 400+ HP car with an EXTRA 300 lb-ft, and realize your reflexes are not there, and this is a whole new ball game. Because how can you learn to manage excessive power with less than 190 lb-ft of tire spinning torque??

I learned to drive fast on a C5 Z06. Then when I got a Mustang GT, I had to learn more, because that car always wanted to go sideways and kill me whenever I gave it a chance. Tracking that car for 5 years was a great way to hone skill, butt gyro, and driver's reflexes. When I switched to the M2 after that, it felt very easy to drive fast. I didn't have to do as much to keep it in check.

I imagine stepping from an 86 into an M2C takes a learning curve. From the Mustang to M2 the curve is reversed. In a "calm down on the steering wheel, the car will sort itself under constant throttle" sort of way.

My point is that if the car doesn't have more power than you as a driver can handle from the start, you're not learning as much as your otherwise would. So yeah, perhaps you won't crash right away in a 86, and instead you will in an M4, or a Mustang, or a Vette, when the 86 gives you a false sense of "skill." Because the skill required to handle half the power and 1/3 of the TQ, is less than half the skill you otherwise might acquire. That's why I think it's a missed opportunity. $36k turbo or supercharged version would do well with a lot of drivers.
If you aren't getting the rear out in a low power car, you aren't driving very fast. If you are using 100% of the grip of the tire a small amount of throttle will bring the rear around. If you aren't driving with slip angle angle, you aren't driving fast. If you can't do that in a low HP car, you aren't as fast as you think you are.

I suspect an SM driver would get in your car and make you realize you aren't "fast."

We get it, you don't like the car. So don't buy one.
Appreciate 2
Burrcold5319.50