View Single Post
      01-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #93
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

I don't want to spoil the party here, but the GTi is about to be replaced with the VII while the 125i is a new release... and the coming GTi will almost certainly be an extremely good alternative.

I see it has 10% more torque aver the wide rpm band, it weights clearly less than the 1, the chassis has improved dynamics over the VI which wasn't bad either, the fuel efficiency is even clearly better than the one of the 125i, the structure has gained in rigidity, the interior and ergonomics had a massive upgrade. Agreed, it's FWD and this is not optimal for a sporthatch, the 1 has the better composed drive-line.

Since the new GTi VII is no unexpected release, since everybody has seen it coming for a few years now, I wonder why BMW deemed they had to launch the 125i instead of the 128i? The latter would be battle dressed for the hard confrontation we'll see within a few months. And it would have been a stronger car at ZERO extra cost (at least for BMW).

I am not convinced the 125i will have an easy victory on the new Golf. I can imagine it will have to be replaced with the 128i within a year or two.
Appreciate 0