04-15-2019, 08:11 AM   #183
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
Hopefully the side intake scoops are just camo because they don't seem to look integrated to the rear quarter. They kind of sticking out. Looking forward to see the real thing.

Here is my concern with the C8. When the C6 came out, it was fast, but whenever being compared to the 911 S, although it was faster at the track, people always ended up picking the 911 S as the winner. When it comes to the finer things, the C6 always came up short - a lot short. GM fixed a lot of that in the C7 but still it does not quite measure up the 911 standard.

There is a lot of talk about the C8 will start around 65K or somewhere there but I just hope the C8 won't be the C6 of mid engine Corvette - fast but feeling a bit crude and unsophisticated. I still don't see how you can make a proper mid-engine with that kind of performance for 65K unless you will compromise on the quality.
It never seems to measure up with the 911 but because of the price difference the Corvette sales are far ahead of the 911. U.S. sales 2017& 2018 Porsche 18,753 (8970 + 9783), Corvette 43,868 (25079 + 18789) - over double. If the price is close to half the competitor you don't have to match up 1:1. Problem would be if they end up costing close to the same, all the issues that people overlook in the much cheaper Corvette become bigger issues. I also would prefer to buy a 911 but considering the price (most care to some degree) I absolutely see why so many buy Corvettes. Once it isn't a "performance bargain" they end up with a lot of extra issues, like higher expectations. Then, even faster than "X" only matters to a point, and at this point, getting 100% out of any of these cars on the road is really impossible.

Not a reply to your thread but just in general - As a buyer I wouldn't care much that I am slightly slower around an equal track with an equal driver. I have done track days (a tiny portion of the buyers actually do), they don't keep times, I don't win money, there isn't someone with exactly the same ability and in the end 1 second faster around a track doesn't matter at all to me. The never ending discussions on track times are only applicable to the internet, magazines, and car shows.

Last edited by David70; 04-15-2019 at 10:17 AM..
Appreciate 3