View Single Post
      08-03-2013, 04:32 AM   #79
logiclee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
Interesting that he recommends the 8speed auto. Has Harris' ever gone in depth about dual clutch vs the 8speed autos? In the video he calls the auto smoother, but is that all there is to it. I'd be interested in his thought about upshifts/downshifts and how the overall control compares between the two. I've read a lot of good things about the 8 speed autos, but if they're that good and that close to dual clutch well it kind of makes me want to go back to manual.
Here's what Chris Harris thinks about the ZF 8HP.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=26917

.....And now this year it has appeared in a BMW 1 Series. In the M135i the ZF is so quick and intuitive I had to re-record a section of film because I had assumed it was a dual-clutch system. It will upshift in 200 milliseconds and then drop into BMW's Eco-Pro mode for some fuel saving. It's the first gearbox that appears to have the same breadth of aspirations, in terms of performance and economy, as the average car enthusiast's brain............. A few years ago, in the midst of the double-clutch boom - when everything fast was moving in that direction - I asked someone from a German car manufacturer if he thought all cars would soon be using such transmissions. He grinned. "Just wait till you see the next generation of automatic." He was right.

My Wife's car has the ZF8HP, mine has a VW DSG dual clutch. The ZF conventional auto is 98% as quick but smoother and without the hesitation and jerkiness you get in some situations with dual clutch.
Given a choice I'd have the ZF8HP over a dual clutch box.

Cheers
Lee

Last edited by logiclee; 08-03-2013 at 04:39 AM..
Appreciate 0