12-05-2019, 05:21 PM   #22
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
If you have a ruptured artery, it needs to be fixed pronto. But you already have a ruptured artery, so the risk is already there. If these guys didn't race across the country, they absolutely certainly would never kill anyone by racing across the country.
Your logic effectively bans risky behavior. So tell us: Who defines such behavior? Laws almost never do specifically. Why? Because they can't.

Quote:
Yeah, mountain climbers should stick to mountains - believe me, it's way more fun that way!!! *And you're only likely to kill/injure yourself and those who have specifically agreed to the heightened risk of taking part in that activity.* Asterisks for importance. That part is my point.
Sorry, but if someone builds a tall building, someone's going to wanna try to climb it. Spider-man is a manifestation of this fantasy. Tightrope walkers are another. Henry's, the Wallenda clan, etc. are proof. Again: It is human nature to dream, and to push limits.

Quote:
You want to hoon about in your car and there is no risk of harming someone who is just trying to go about their day? Sweet, have a great time!...... You want to hoon about in your car but in doing so you are significantly increasing the risk of harming innocent bystanders? No. Don't be selfish.
I get where you're coming from. That said: Hooning about in rural America is more dangerous to yourself than to anyone else. I see that you're in the U.K. Come visit, and see for yourself. I've driven on roads in my home state (Texas) on which I've not encountered another car for 50 miles -- and I've experience similar isolation in several other places here.

Quote:
I'm all for folk having fun. I'm even more for folk pushing limits and boundaries competitively. But I am strongly against these things if they are damaging (or heighten the risk of damage) to people around them who don't want to be involved.
No, plainly you're not. It's one thing to do 150-plus in a metro area, even if you're a skilled driver. That's risky (so you do 100 -- which, when others are likely doing 80ish, isn't that much faster). It's another to do that in areas that have a population density only comparable to the Alps, Lapland, or Iceland in Europe.

Quote:
And will someone please revoke the license of this damn soccer mom who keeps driving while distracted!! I totally agree that distracted/disinterested/incompetent drivers are by far the biggest risk. Partly because there are so many of them.
On this, we can agree.
Appreciate 0