KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbodle View Post
5400rpm, just like the M550d
OK, my mistake then. I checked the end point of the torque curve that only reached uptil 4500rpm. I guess that like with the M50d, there is certainly no point in exploiting the rev range beyond 4700rpm in 1st, nor beyond 4500 in 2nd. So also for the 125d, the last 700revs don't have a reason to exist actually.

You state the traction control kicks in, this means you didn't disengage the DSTC I guess. It will be absolute required to mimic a "launch control" start.

What I would do (this is the way I do it actually):
1. disengage the DSTC by pushing the button long enough until he indicates "no assistance", push clutch in, put it in 1st gear, then floor the accelerator, the rpm will settle at 2500.
2. Then you release the clutch rather violently and what you aim for is controlled spin, no frantic rubber burning though. So you probably need to dose by releasing the accelerator a bit, try to sustain the controlled slip as long as possible.
3. Shift up as fast as you can at 4700rpm, the slip you have now you can't sustain, just don't try to control it since you need to keep the accelerator totally burried. Repeat this at 4500rpm now to shift to 3rd.

You see, it's not soft on the mechanics of your car. Even trained pilots can easily loose half a second in this exercise.

Check out Steve Sutcliffe here in the Golf R:
Appreciate 0