Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Okay I think Turkey and Croatia are the best bet. Haven't been to either so would add in a few new countries.

Question for folks that have been to either, or both: how would you split the time? With 21 days, would you do do 50/50 with half a day for traveling from Croatia to Turkey or would you spend more time at one vs the other? I plan on only staying in the Zagreb area, visiting Split, the waterfalls, and perhaps Dalmation Islands. Dubrovnik is too far so will save that for next trip. I want this to be a chill trip and take in the cultures.

Also, any recommendations for hotels would be great! Need to have good wifi, comfy bed, and nice views.
My wife and I went to Croatia/Montenegro, flew into Zagreb and out of Dubrovnik. I thought a day or two in Zagreb was enough, falls were great but wouldn't want to be there for more than two days (maybe 2.5 depending on where you stay). Enjoyed Split. We rented a car and drove everything. If we did it again we wouldn't have spent more than a day in Zagreb and thought Dubrovnik and Montenegro were definitely worth going to, maybe would have left Zagreb off completely.

When buying flights we found it cheaper to buy two separate tickets, one to a major city in Europe (our case Paris) and a separate ticket from this major city in Europe to Croatia (on Croatian Air but other options also). Buying a round trip from Cincinnati to Croatia ends up with few options and very expensive.

I do the same when I go to Thailand, always a major U.S. city to somewhere in China/Seoul then to Bangkok and then another ticket from Cincinnati to the major U.S. city. The major U.S. city to Asia has me on Korean Air or China Eastern where Cincinnati to Bangkok would have only U.S. carrier ticket options (still likely to end up on Korean or China Eastern as they are Delta partners).
Last year there was a big sale for flights to pretty much anywhere in Europe and Africa. You could fly into one airport and out the other and it was cheap. Normally they limit you to flying in and out of the same airport. It was between Greece and Turkey, Slovenia and Croatia, or Morocco and Portugal, and I went with # 3. Was awesome.

I would do the same now except that with the pandemic, lots of flights are not available (ie airlines don't fly to as many destinations). Also, the ability to enter a country, go through customs, come back into the airport for another flight is in question as not al countries are open. Hence it's not preferable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Seriously, dude, croatia? Are you even allowed in? They have a list of countries they are accepting and I am absolutely telling you, they could shut the place any day now.

This is why the virus spreads, sit tight man.

Now, when you do go, it is utterly brilliant but overcrowded and I am happy to offer itinerary and hidden gems, i know the place well.
Mind listing those places anyway? I don't think it'll be crowded right now since it's offseason and not a ton of people are traveling. I'm evaluating options right now.
Appreciate 0