View Single Post
      12-14-2018, 03:42 PM   #4
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
It can be...it's just a few million dollars. The M3 cert was based on building impact prototypes for frontal compliance with FMVSS 208. That powertrain combination has unique characteristics and is not applicable to other powertrains. A 330 and 340 would have to be certified individually, which means development, time, people and crash testing. I've been involved with this in my prior work and we're into seven digits per vehicle species. The question BMWAG will ask is, how many incremental cars will they sell and do they have production capacity to produce them. If the G20 program already is projected as at capacity, there is no upside.
Ok I'll bite. Since we're throwing numbers around and nothing concrete. Can BMW NA tell us how much it would be to certify M340i with 6MT. 7 digits what? How many cars at $50K Invoice a pop would they have to sell to break even or make a small profit? 50K x 100 cars is already 5 million, is that good, is that enough? Don't you think they would sell 200-300 cars a year with 6MT?
Appreciate 0