View Single Post
      11-03-2023, 09:24 AM   #148
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
It is interesting that 15 years later, nobody builds a sport compact as raw and capable as an EVO. All these years later it's still one of the best AWD systems ever offered on a vehicle at any price. The system used in the GR Corolla is an absolute embarrassment in comparison.
It's true but there is a reason why... at that price point, it's impossible to build a car like that anymore and w extreme competition from the Germans and all of the different turbo cars they are putting out, its borderline impossible to compete.

Look at the current WRX and you'll see it actually got way worse... There is almost no market for an Evo anymore... when Evos were hot, they were one of only 4 or 5 mainstream cars with a turbo motor... and only 1 of 2 compacts with AWD and Turbo. Since that time, everyone went turbo, far more competition popped up and everything is much faster.

So what would modern EVO look like? 450 HP small Turbo 4 w a newer AWD system and some tech... congrats you have a 60k car with markups... it just doesn't work anymore. This car would also need to run like mid 11's at 120 in the 1/4 to even compete.

That being said... if a brand new Evo 9 Mr popped up for $35k or we went back in time 18 years, i'd not walk but sprint to the dealership to buy one... in terms of rawness, i've never driven a car like it. I'd throw on a few boltons or an FP green turbo with a nice tune and i'd be happy as a hog.
Donatello.1098.00