View Single Post
      10-17-2021, 07:42 PM   #278
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
The M folks at BMW took a car, did their things to it, and put an M on it. That makes it an M car. Just like anything else they work on and stick an M onto. 1M (because M1 had already been used), M3, M4, and so on.......This isn't rocket science. Why is this even an ongoing discussion?
Ego my friend. Half of those claiming a BMW designated M cars (M340i, M430i....) aren't "true" M cars, have old BMW's that any current (M, M-sport or standard) car destroys in every technical and performance arena. It's their ego that makes them rag on newer/better cars - regardless of the designation. A 335 from 2015, for example, will out perform any early M car. So, those with old M cars that were barely an upgrade from Audi or VW model, have to hold on to their BMW dream.

It has nothing to do with money. For example when I went in a few months ago to buy a new BMW there were almost zero cars available. It wouldn't matter what I wanted to buy, there was one X3 at three dealerships combined. I purchased it. I would be happy if BMW didn't put stripes and M logos all over my X3, but they did. They did because it is full of M technology and its a M spec'd BMW. Is it a M-Comp, no it is not. Will it destroy a 1990 or 2000 M3 - yes it, will in every way. Does that diminish a 2000 M3? No it does not. It merely speaks to how advanced all new BMW's are. They are all great cars and each one is different.

The constant need for some owners to separate themselves is both laughable and deplorable at the same time. Four of my last 6 cars were Porsche models. NEVER in my many years participating in Porsche rallys, track days, mystery tours or club events, did I find this much dissention and ego-driven separation between various model owners. All herein are here because they appreciate what BMW does better than most manufacturers. That should be enough.

At the end of the day, we all appreciate BMW automobiles. Whether you have an old BMW, a leased BMW, a BMW you own outright, or even if you ache or pine for your first BMW - you should be appreciated and welcome here. Unfortunately, I see more often that anyone disagreeing with the mainstream attacked by the 3-5 ass-hats herein that believe they are the sole arbiters of what it means to be BMW.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 10-18-2021 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 2
dscabra4958.50