02-11-2021, 07:39 AM   #90
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADEe92 View Post
He did point out that the decline began in earnest in 2015. Doug makes some good points, and walking around the dealer last service I have to admit my e92 is probably the last BMW I'll buy after driving them for 20+ years - nothing appeals. I'll just keep driving the 320d (and keep my warmed over e30 as the fun car) until either electric cars become affordable, or hydrogen ends up winning - hydrogen may happen yet in Australia given our proximity to Japan / South Korea, and their commitment to hydrogen to hit their emissions targets.

The "M-car" argument is bit moot - the entire range used to be entertaining to drive. BMW began pimping out the 'M' brand in the early 1980s when you could buy an e21 "Motorsport" from the dealer, with M badges, Recaros and a couple of stripes - basically the forerunner to the M-Performance packages you get now. You could also get e36 318i coupes kitted out with full M3 body kits from the factory etc. It's nothing new.

They're not necessarily done - they've seemed 'lost' before. The Bangle cars were slammed back in the day, but they've dated better than a lot of other cars of the early 2000s and are now seen as 'peak BMW', go figure!
I’m with you on the e92, had one in black and it was a thing of sleek beauty. Many would come up to me to acknowledge this! As I said above I should have never sold it, but when I saw the lines of the F80CP I became child like again and needed to have it with its stunning good looks and performance numbers. But oh woe is me to come to find out, it had lost a BMW soul.